Edinburghshire (formerly Mid-Lothian), a maritime county of Scotland, extending about 36 m. from E. to W., and 18 m. from N. to S.; area, 367 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 328,335. Its N. boundary is formed by the frith of Forth, and is studded with important towns and havens. The S. outline is very irregular, being deeply indented by Peeblesshire, from which it is partly separated by a continuation of the Moorfoot range. These hills, the highest of which is nearly 1,900 ft. above the sea, occupy an area of nearly 50 sq. m. in the S. E. part of Edinburghshire; but many fertile dales lie hidden among them, and a great part of their acclivities is under profitable cultivation. The Pentland hills, which extend from Peeblesshire N. E. through the centre of the county, are bleak and sterile, but afford some fine scenery. The soil, except in the valleys of the Forth and N. and S. Esk, is nat-urally inferior, and most of the land is used for pasturage, but the farms are skilfully worked. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas, potatoes, and turnips. Good breeds of sheep and cattle are reared. The minerals comprise coal, limestone, sandstone, and porphyry.
The chief streams are the N. and the S. Esk, Gala Water, and Water of Leith. The county is not extensively engaged in manufactures, but whiskey and the famous Edinburgh ale are largely produced. The Union canal and several lines of railway terminate at the capital. The principal towns are Edinburgh, Leith, Dalkeith, Musselburgh, and Portobello.