Grutli, Or Rutli a locality of Switzerland, in the canton of Uri, 5 m. S. W. of Schwytz, consisting only of a small space occupied by a meadow with a few cottages and walnut and chestnut trees, but celebrated as the cradle of Swiss liberty, and as the spot where Stauffa-cher, Walther Furst, and Arnold of Melchthal met, according to tradition, during the night of Nov. 7-8, 1307, with 30 followers, and formed a Swiss league against Austrian tyranny. It is at the N. E. declivity of the Seelisberger or Niederbauer Kulm, a mountain about 6,000 ft. high, near the watering place of Seelisberg, on the lake of Lucerne, and is easily accessible by boats from steamers plying between Lucerne and Fluelen. About 1 m. N. of it is the Mythenstein, a lofty rock on which is the inscription Bern Sanger Tells, Friedrich Schiller, die Urcantone, 1860. Tell's chapel is 3 m. from Grutli. The land became national property in 1858, having been purchased by the Swiss patriotic association for 55,000 francs.