Gubbio , (anc. Iguvium or Eugubium), a town of Italy, in the province of Pesaro ed Urbino, near Mount Calvo, 30 m. N. E. of Perugia, and 110 m. N. of Rome; pop. about 0,000. It contains a cathedral, several churches, about 20 convents, and a theatre; and silk and woollens are manufactured. During the middle ages it had a population of 30,000, and was the seat of a fine school of painting. It is supplied with water from a reservoir formed by a dam across the valley between Mounts Ingino and Calvo, which is one of the most remarkable specimens of mediaeval engineering. There is a museum containing many Pelasgic remains. The famous Eugubian tablets, with inscriptions in the Umbrian, Etruscan, and Latin languages, which have been variously interpreted by antiquaries, were discovered in 1444 about 8 m. from the town. In the 14th century Gubbio became a part of the Papal States, with which it passed to the kingdom of Italy. The ancient Iguvium was considered by the Romans to be of great strategical importance, and was prominent in the early part of the civil war between Caesar and Pompey.