Hue, a city of Asia, capital of the empire of Anam, and of the province of the same name, on the Hue roadstead, about 10 m. from the China sea; lat. 16° 28' N., Ion. 107° 32'E.; pop. estimated at from 80,000 to 100,000. It is composed of two cities, an outer and an inner. The former is surrounded by the river, and by walls 5 m. in circumference and 60 ft. high, fortified in the European manner. It is entered by ten bridges and as many corresponding gates, and contains the palaces of the king's near relatives, the different public offices, barracks, prisons, magazines, granaries, and the dwelling houses and shops of the citizens. In the centre of the outer city is the inner one, which is also walled, and in which are the palaces and seraglio of the king, the palace of his mother, the palace wherein the sovereign receives his mandarins, and guard rooms for the sentinels on duty. Hue is a naval station, and has extensive ship yards and a large cannon foundery. The streets are traversed by navigable canals. The roadstead is an excellent and well sheltered harbor. The citadel is fortified after the European fashion, and would require 50,000 men to fully garrison it. The commercial and manufacturing activity of Hue is extensive.
In 1787 the city was formally ceded to the French, but has never been occupied by them.