Jemmapes, Or Gemappe, a village of Belgium, in the province of Hainaut, on the river Haine and on the canal from Mons to Conde, 3 m. W. of Mons; pop. in 1867, 11,405. The place contains several breweries, tanneries, forges, flour mills, a salt refinery, and extensive soap works. It is noted for a battle, Nov. 6, 1792, between the French under Dumouriez and the Austrians under Duke Albert of Teschen. The republican forces numbered about 40,000; the Austrian army was equally strong, but it was so posted that only its centre, consisting of 18,000 men, could be brought into action. These troops were intrenched, however, between Jemmapes and Mons, and their position was defended by 14 redoubts, mounting nearly 100 pieces of artillery. The battle began at daybreak with an attack by a French column under Beurnonville, who turned the Austrian flank and carried the redoubts on the left. A simultaneous attack on the centre was also successful, and the victory was complete. The Austrian loss was about 5,000, the French 6,000; but the consequences of the battle, the first regular engagement won by the republican forces, were very important to both parties.
Most of the cities of the Netherlands surrendered to the victors without opposition; and when Belgium was annexed to the French republic Jemmapes gave its name to a department comprising nearly the whole of Hainaut.