Karasu -Bazar, a town of the Crimea, in the government of Taurida, and in the circle and 28 m. E. N. E. of the city of Simferopol; pop. in 1867, 14,397, chiefly Tartars, but including also Armenians, Jews, and other nationalities. It is situated in a fertile valley near the source of the Karasu river, but there are many morasses in the vicinity. It resembles Levantine towns by the crookedness of the streets and the meanness of the buildings; but it is one of the most thriving places in the Crimea, with nearly 50 khans. The national church is a fine building in the shape of a cross, with a dome which lights the centre; and there are places of worship for Catholics, Armenians, and Jews, and more than 20 mosques. The cemeteries outside of the town are very extensive. The large estates of the Shirin family extend from this town almost all the way to Kertch, and adjoining the town are several settlements of Germans who are as advanced in agriculture as the Tartars are backward. Wine, fruit, tallow, wool, and hides are the staple articles of trade; and morocco, leather, shoes, saddles, and shaggy felt cloaks are manufactured in a superior style. - The Tartars made Karasu-Ba-zar their capital in 1736, but it was captured and burned by the Russians in 1737.