Milazzo, Or Melazzo (anc. Myla:), a seaport town of Sicily, on the N. coast, in the province and 18 in. W. of the city of Messina; pop. about T.oiio. It is built on a promontory which forms a spacious bay, the Basilicus Sinus of the ancients, affording excellent anchorage, and is divided into two parts, one on the promontory strongly fortified, and the other at the harbor near the bottom of the bay. The exports are fish, wine, oil, olives, and fruits of every kind. The tunny fishery is considerable. The plain of Mihizzo, bounded by the mountains of Pe-lorum, is noted for its beautiful scenery. The promontory of Myhe was the scene of a victory of the Roman tleet over that of the Carthaginians in the first Punic war, 260 B.C., gained by means of the grappling implements called corci, then used for the first time. In 36 Agrippa. the commander of Octavius's fleet, defeated there that of Sextus Pompey. In 1719 Milazzo was unsuccessfully besieged by the Spanish army. On July 20, 1860, Garibaldi here defeated the Neapolitans, a victory which resulted in giving him possession of Messina.