Moorshedabad, a town of British India, in Bengal, 124 m. N. of Calcutta; pop. about 150,000, including 90,000 Brahmans and 56,000 Mussulmans. It is the most populous town of the district of Moorshedabad (area, 2,705 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 1,355,549), but has been superseded by Berhampore as the capital. The town comprises Moorshedabad proper on the E. bank of the Bhagruttee (an arm of the Ganges) and Mahinagar on the TV. bank; it extends N. and S. about 8 m., with an average breadth of 4 m. It consists chiefly of mud buildings, but contains a splendid palace of dazzling whiteness, beautifully situated, and completed in 1840; and there is also a native college. The commerce in silk and indigo, the staple products, is considerable, and the situation of the town is the most favorable on the water route between Calcutta and the Northwestern Provinces; but the port is inaccessible during the spring except for the smallest craft. The defective drainage makes the place very unhealthy. It was once the capital of Bengal, and so prosperous that Clive used to compare it to the city of London; but it has greatly declined.
The court of the titular nawaub of Bengal, however, still " plays here its farce of mimic state," according to Hunter's " Our Indian Mussulmans" (London, 1874).