Neusiedler Lake (Hung. Ferto), after Balaton the largest lake of Hungary, situated near the Austrian frontier on the confines of the counties of Oedenburg and Wieselburg; length about 23 m., breadth 7 m., depth 9 to 13 ft. The reedy banks of the lake shelter innumerable water fowl. The E. side is marshy, adjoining the extensive marshes of Hánsag. In times of sudden inundations the overflowing waters are carried through an artificial canal into the river Rabnitz. The W. bank is surrounded by beautiful vine-clad hills, at the foot of which the town of Rust is situated. Other towns W. of the lake are Oedenburg and Eisenstadt. The lake dried up in 1865, as it had in 1693 and 1738, and the archduke Al-brecht laid out a plantation there which he called Neu-Mexico. In September, 1870, the basin was again filled with water from the Raab and Rabnitz rivers, through the Hansag marsh, the draining of which had been undertaken in I860, and the farms and buildings were all submerged.