I. A division of the Northwestern Provinces of British India, bounded N. by Agra and Oude, E. by Behar, S. by Gund-wana, and W. by Malwah; area, 11,826 sq. m.; pop. about 3,800,000. It is one of the richest provinces of Hindostan.

II. A district of the preceding division, between lat. 24° 49' and 25° 44' N., and lon. 81° 14' and 82° 26' E.; area, 2,788 sq. m.; pop. about 1,400,000. A part of the district is included in the great plain of the Doab, and the surface generally is nearly level. It is abundantly watered by the Ganges, the Jumna, and some artificial watercourses, produces timber, maize, cotton, flax, indigo, and sugar, and exports salt. HI. The chief town of the district and province, and since 1862 capital of the North western Provinces, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Jumna, and on the East Indian railway, lat. 25° 26' N., lon. 81° 55' E., 75 m. N. W. of Benares; pop. about 65,000, including suburbs. The Hindoos, who call the town Praya-ga, regard it as the holiest of all places, and immense numbers of pilgrims visit it annually to bathe at the junction of the two rivers. It was also regarded by the Mohammedans as so sacred that, on coming into possession of it, they named it "God's place11 {Allah abad).- It contains some interesting shrines and ruins, and an ancient castle, converted into a fort and great military depot for Upper India. The native town is inconsiderable, but the European quarter is well built, and the British government since the sepoy rebellion has planned extensive improvements, which will render Allahabad a great military and commercial post.

Some have identified the city with the Palibothra of Greek and Roman geographers. It was fortified by Akbar, and on the dismemberment of the empire of Delhi was seized in 1753 by the vizier of Oude, from whom it was taken by the British in 1765; it was afterward transferred to the nawaub of Oude, and finally ceded to the East India company in 1801. It was then in a very ruinous condition. A sepoy regiment mutinied here June 6, 1857, and killed several of their officers. The rest of the Europeans defended themselves in the fort until relieved by Col. Neill, but the town was nearly destroyed.