Androscoggin, a S. W. county of Maine; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 35,866. It has a fertile soil, and in agriculture ranks among the foremost in the state. The productions in 1870 were 7,800 bushels of wheat, 72,344 of corn, 20,404 of barley, 96,413 of oats, 371,391 of potatoes, 48,605 lbs. of wool, 559,213 of butter, 179,858 of cheese, and 50,787 tons of hay. The county has fine water power at Lewiston, produced by the junction of the Androscoggin and Little Androscoggin rivers, and there are numerous manufacturing establishments. The Portland branch of the Grand Trunk railroad, and the Maine Central and other lines, traverse the county. In 1870 there were 8,182 children attending school. Capital, Auburn.