Gardiner, a city of Kennebec co., Maine, on the W. bank of the Kennebec river, 10 m. below Augusta, at the head of summer navigation, and on both sides of the Cobbossecon-tee; pop. in 1870, 4,497. A bridge 900 ft. long connects it with Pittston on the opposite bank of the Kennebec; and the Augusta division of the Maine Central railroad passes through the city. It is largely engaged in manufactures, for which the falls of the Cob-bossecontee afford great advantages, and it contains six saw, shingle, lath, and clapboard mills, three large paper mills, a woollen factory, two founderies, three machine shops, a tannery, an axe factory, three carriage factories, two manufactories of sashes and blinds, etc. Considerable shipping is owned here. There are two hotels, three national banks with an aggregate capital of $250,000, a savings bank with $1,050,000 capital, two weekly newspapers, 16 school houses (including a high school building), an almshouse, a mechanics' association with a small library, a public library, and nine churches.-Gardiner was settled in 1760, incorporated as a town in 1803, and as a city in 1850.