Flint, a city and the capital of Genesee co., Michigan, on both sides of Flint river, near the centre of the county, about 60 m. N. N. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1850, 1,670; in 1860, 2,950; in 1870, 5,386. The city is picturesquely situated, and is laid out with broad streets shaded with fine trees. The principal public buildings are the court house, a handsome brick structure surmounted by a cupola; the county jail, built principally of iron; the city hall, of brick; St. Paul's Episcopal church, in the Gothic style, of stone quarried in the vicinity; five ward school houses, three of brick and two of wood, and a handsome Catholic school house, recently erected. A high school building, to cost $80,000, and a masonic temple are in course of erection. The Michigan institution for the education of the deaf and dumb and the blind occupies a commanding site on the S. W. side of the city, with groves and gardens covering 94 acres. The number of inmates is about 300, nearly equally divided between the blind and the deaf mutes. In the S. E. part of the city are the fair grounds of the Genesee county agricultural society, 25 acres in extent. The city is at the intersection of the Flint and Pere Marquette with the Chicago and Lake Huron railroads.
The most extensive manufacture is that of lumber, which employs 10 saw mills, with an aggregate capacity of 100,000,000 feet annually. There are also seven planing mills, three extensive sash, door, and blind factories, and two flouring mills, producing 25,000 barrels of flour a year. The other principal manufactures are mill and steam machinery, agricultural implements, carriages, cabinet ware, and woollens; 77,360 yards of cloths, cassi-mere, and flannels were produced in 1872. There are two national banks and a savings bank. The Flint scientific institute has a valuable library and a cabinet embracing several thousand specimens of natural history. The ladies' library association has about 2,000 volumes. Three weekly newspapers are published. In 1872 there were 20 public schools, with 25 teachers and an average attendance of 1,086 pupils. There are eight churches.-The first log cabin on the site of Flint was built in 1819, but the actual settlement dates only from 1830. The city was incorporated in 1855, and in 1871 it was enlarged by annexation, so that in 1873 the population was about 9,000.