Flintshire, a N. E. county of Wales, consisting of two separate portions, lying at a distance of 8 m. from each other, with a part of Denbighshire between them, the larger portion bordering on the Irish sea and the estuary of the Dee; aggregate area, 289 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 76,245. It is the smallest but, in proportion to its extent, most populous county in Wales. The surface near the coast is low, and elsewhere is diversified, though there are no great elevations. A range of hills runs alongside the S. W. boundary, and a branch of them traverses the county in a N. E. direction. Between these ridges are fertile valleys, including the well known vale of Clwyd, watered by several rivers, which flow on the one side into the Clwyd and Alyn, and on the other into the Dec, which forms the N. E. boundary. The greater part of the county rests upon the coal measures, which exist chiefly on the coast of the estuary of the Dee. In 1807 there were 40 collieries and 45 lead mines in the county. The principal smelting works are at Mold and Holywell. The other minerals are copper, iron, zinc, and calamine. Agriculture employs about 8 per cent. of the population. Wheat and rye are principally cultivated, and considerable quantities of butter and cheese are made.
The shipping trade is not extensive, as the ports are accessible only to small craft. The Chester and Holyhead railway traverses the county, and the Chester and Mold railway penetrates to its centre. The chief towns are Mold, the capital, Flint, St. Asaph, Holywell, Rhyddlan, Hawarden, and Bagilt.