This page of the book is from "The New Student's Reference Work: Volume 3" by Chandler B. Beach, Frank Morton McMurry and others.
with the words: "The quality of mercy is not strained."
Port'land Ex'posi'tion, The, an international exposition held in Portland, Oregon, from June 1st to October 15th, 1905, to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the exploration of the northwest by Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. The exposition derived its name from the city, the official title in full being The Lewis and Clark Centennial and American Pacific Exposition and Oriental Fair. It also is frequently referred to as the Lewis and Clark Exposition. The exposition was intended to tell the story, as the official title indicates, of the exploration and heroic achievement of a hundred years ago ; of the development in a new-found land that gained the United States its western coast; and of the extension of American trade with the orient. As originally planned, only an exposition local to the northwest was contemplated ; but, as the interest of the whole country became manifest, the scope of the undertaking broadened until it reached the proportions of an international exposition of the first rank. It was the first exposition of the kind ever held west of the Rocky Mountains. In natural beauty of setting it is considered by many to have surpassed all others. The national government contributed $470,000 in addition to contributing an exhibit, already prepared at a cost of more than $300,000; and nearly all foreign nations were well-represented. The unique feature was the Forestry Building, constructed entirely of logs of gigantic dimensions.
Portland, Me., largest city and chief port of entry in Maine, is situated on Casco Bay, about 60 miles from Augusta, the capital of the state, and about 100 miles from Boston. A number of islands in the bay are included in the corporation. The Grand Trunk Railroad and six other lines terminate at Portland, and regular lines of steamers connect the city with New York, Boston and other points on the Atlantic coast. The harbor, which is defended by five forts, is deep enough for vessels of all sizes and is seldom frozen. A large foreign trade is carried on with the West Indies and with European and South American countries, the imports and exports amounting to $15,918,492 in 1906. Portland was permanently settled by an English colony in 1632. Neal Dow, Longfellow, Thomas B. Reed and N. P. Willis were born at Portland, and William Pitt Fessenden lived there. In i860 a destructive fire swept over the city, destroying property to the amount of $10,000,000, but the burned district has long since been rebuilt. Population 58,571.
Portland, Or., the largest city of Oregon, is on Willamette River, near the point where it joins the Columbia, about 100 miles from the ocean and about 800 north from San Francisco. The city is beautifully located
on a rising slope that extends from the river to the foot-hills. Five snowcovered mountain-peaks can be seen from Portland Heights in the west of the city ; and the public park-system embraces more than 200 acres. The public buildings are costly and modern, and among them may be mentioned the Public Library, the Chamber of Commerce, the Northwestern Industrial Exposition Building; the city-hall, postoffice and customhouse, each occupying an entire block; Union Depot, Marquam Theater, Weinhard Building and many others, besides fine private residences. At Oregon City, twelve miles from Portland, are Willamette Falls, which furnish excellent power for manufacturing. Among the industries are lumber and flour mills, furniture, cordage, boot, shoe, carriage and wagon factories, breweries, planing mills, paper-bag factories, saddlery and harness works, paint-works, spice-mills and canneries. Portland has an admirable public-school system, with fine schoolbuildings, and spends more than $250,-000 annually for the maintenance of schools. Higher educational institutions include Portland University, Portland Academy, Bishop Scott School, Saint Helen's School for Girls and the medical and law schools of the University of Oregon. Among the charitable institutions are the Portland, St. Vincent's and- Good Samaritan hospitals. Electric power from Willamette Falls operates the electric lights and street-railways. Portland has an immense drydock and is a prosperous port of entry, large ocean-ships coming to this point. Clearing-house returns for 1906 showed a commerce of nearly $300,000,-000, with an export trade of $15,000,000. Portland was founded in 1844 by New Eng-landers who named it for the Maine city, and became a city in 1851. Population 207.214.
Portland, Isle of, a rocky island or peninsula in Dorsetshire, England, connected with the mainland by a long, narrow ridge called Chisel Bank. It is four and a half miles long, one and a half wide and nine to ten in circumference. The coast is rough and precipitous, the only landing place being on the north, opposite Weymouth. From its highest point the Verne (495 feet) presents an almost unbroken slope to Portland Bill, the southern extremity, where stand two lighthouses, showing fixed lights 210 and 136 feet above the sea. Between this point and the Shambles is a dangerous reef three miles southeast, while a surf, called the Portland Race, is raised by the impetuous tides. By the construction of a magnificent break-water over two miles in length, the building of which occupied twenty-three years, a harbor of refuge has been formed, affording anchorage for a large fleet of vessels. Population 11,000.
Portland Vase, a celebrated, ancient, Roman glass-vase or cinerary urn found during