This section is from the "Studio Light And The Aristo Eagle - A Magazine Of Information For The Profession 1909" book, by Aristo Motto. Also see Amazon: Studio Light And The Aristo Eagle - A Magazine Of Information For The Profession 1909.
As the visitors walked along and saw the marvels of mechanical genius, the magnitude of the enterprise appeared almost to daze them. First was the boiler room, the seat of energy of the Eastman plant. Here were 16 huge boilers, with a capacity of 6000 horse power. Above the boilers were the coal bunkers, having a capacity of 3,-200 tons, from which the coal drops through chutes to mechanical stokers. Eighty tons of coal is burned daily, the waste gases passing off through fuel economizers. There is no smoke nuisance at Kodak Park; smoke means waste, and economy of product is too closely watched to permit waste on such a scale as would follow imperfect coal combustion.
Next came the refrigerating room, with its ten big machines, controlling the temperature of every building at the park, providing as stated, the equivalent of 1,920 tons of melted ire daily.
The dynamo room, which came next, looked like the biggest machine shop any of them had ever seen. There is practically no shafting at Kodak Park. The machinery is driven by 743 motors, and the power is generated by five of the largest engine-driven dynamos that were ever made, lighting the entire plant and furnishing power to thousands of machines. By the side of the steam-driven electric giants which furnish light and power at the park, there was seen, as an interesting exhibit, the little 35-horse power Buckeye engine which twenty years ago furnished all the power needed for the entire Eastman plant of that day. It is enjoying a well earned rest after its years of service, and is kept in the model engine room as one of the exhibits, showing the increase of the plant in the past two decades.
The "dope" building was the center of interest to the expert photographers. Beneath the floor were the great barrels, holding 200,000 pounds of the syrup-like mixture from which the film base is made. Technically this is known as cellulose nitrate for the ordinary film, and cellulose acetate for the new non-inflammable film now used for moving pictures. In the Eastman vernacular, the film base in this semi-liquid state is called "dope."
There is another interesting exhibit in this dope cellar. It is a small barrel which tells the story of the volume of the film business in 1891; it has a capacity of 500 pounds. The present barrels hold 4,000 pounds each and fifty of them are filled and refilled night and day. The managers seem quite proud of these old-time exhibits, as they show more conclusively than any figures that could be given, the rapidgrowth of the volume of business of the plant.
One of the most impressive sights at the park is the operation of the overhead traveling cranes. In the roll-coating building is one of these cranes with a 45-foot span and a capacity of 20 tons, three electric motors, all under the control of one operator, giving the different motions. In addition are two smaller cranes, each of five tons capacity. The cranes are used in moving the tanks of "dope" to and from the mixers.
The acid plant can hardly be called one of the show places at the park, but in its bearing on the quality of the products, it is immensely important, and the visitors who were professional scanned the sections of the acid rooms with special interest. The sulphur burning furnaces mark the first step in the manufacture of sensitized silver products - the making of sulphuric acid, which in combination with nitre, makes the nitric acid with which the silver bullion is nitrated for photographic purposes.