3. The journals on the tender of a locomotive are 3½X7 inches. The total weight of the tender and load is 60,000 pounds. If there are 8 journals, what is the pressure per square inch of projected area?
4. What horse-power is lost in friction at the circumference of a 3-inch bearing carrying a load of 6,000 pounds, if the number of revolutions per minute is 150 and the coefficient of friction is assumed to be 5 per cent?
5. The cast-iron bracket in Fig. 77 has a load P of 1,000 pounds. Determine the fiber stress in the web section at the base of the bracket if the thickness is taken at ½ inch, and L1 = 12 inches; I = 20 inches; k = 11 inches; t = 1 inch.
6. Calculate the diameter of the bolts at the top of the bracket.
7. Assuming r equal to 6 inches, what is the fiber stress at the root of flange?
J. A. Fay and Egan Co.