1. What is a solution?
2. Will a cold solution dissolve more of a substance than a hot solution?
3. What is a solvent? Name two or three common solvents.
4. What is a saturated solution? How are you able to tell if a solution is saturated or not?
5. What is ebullition?
6. What is precipitation? Has it any industrial importance?
7. Explain the difference between a sediment and a precipitate?
8. What is clarification?
9. What is filtration? Has it any industrial importance?
10. Name the three methods by which substances are purified.
11. Explain crystallization.
12. Explain how large crystals may be obtained; "mealy" crystals.
13. What is the meaning of the term "water of crystallization"?
14. Give the percentage of water of crystallization in "washing soda,"Na2CO3.10H1O. (Refer to table of atomic weights in Chapter XL)
15. What is the meaning of sublimation?
16. What are the two kinds of coal?
17. Explain the meaning of rancidity; putrefaction; fermentation.
18. What are germs?
19. Explain why metals are sometimes found as oxides; sulphides.
20. What is the difference between granite, sandstone, and marble?
22. Explain the difference between crystalline and amorphous.