2. Why is steam considered an aqueous vapor and not a gas?
3. Describe the properties of steam.
4. What properties of steam are common to gases?
5. What is a boiler?
6. Describe the two classes of boilers.
7. Explain the manufacture of boilers.
8. Why is a boiler cylindrical and not square?
10. State the advantages of return tubular boilers.
11. How are boilers tested? Explain the principle underlying each method.
12. What objection is there to adding cold water to boilers?
13. How are boilers repaired? What is the difference between a hard and a soft patch?
14. What are the principal parts of a boiler?
15. What is a fusible plug? Why is it used?
16. Why is a manhole elliptical and not circular?
17. What are the devices used on a boiler to tell when the maximum pressure is exceeded?
19. How is water fed into a boiler?
21. Describe a water injector.
22. Describe a water heater.
23. What is a damper regulator?
24. Why is it necessary to clean a boiler? How is it cleaned?
25. Describe the steps in starting a fire in a new boiler.
26. Describe the steps in firing a boiler.
27. What is a chimney?
28. Explain the theory of combustion and smoke.
29. Define the following terms: saturated steam; wet steam; dry steam; supersaturated steam; heating surface of a boiler; horsepower of a boiler; priming.