1. Who invented the steam engine?
2. What effect has the development of the steam engine had upon trades and industry?
3. What is a steam engine?
4. What property has steam that allows it to drive a piston?
5. What is the purpose of the fly-wheel?
6. Why is a fly-wheel large and heavy?
7. What kind of motion has the moving piston of an engine?
8. What kind of motion has the fly-wheel of an engine?
9. How is the motion of the piston communicated to the flywheel?
10. Why is it desirable to have the escaping steam enter a condenser?
11. What is a condensing engine?
12. What is a non-condensing engine?
13. What is the eccentric of an engine?
14. What is the governor of an engine?
15. What is the efficiency of an engine?
16. How is the power of an engine expressed?
17. What is a rotary engine?
18. What is a turbine?
19. What advantage has the turbine over the reciprocating (straight-line) engine?
20. Explain how a turbine works.
21. Explain the measuring of indicated horse-power.
1. What is the H. P. of an engine that is required to pump out in 8 minutes a basement 51 ft. X 22 ft. X 10 ft. deep, full of water?
2. What is the H. P. of an engine that is capable of raising 3 tons of coal (2240 lbs. to the ton) from a mine 289 ft. deep in 3 minutes?
3. How many tons of coal can an 8 H. P. hoisting engine raise in 34 sec. from the hold of a coal barge, a distance of 61 ft.?
4. How long will it take a 10 H. P. hoisting engine to raise an 812-lb. ram of a pile-driver to a height of 23 ft.?
5. How many pounds of water per half-minute can an 8 H. P. pump raise to a height of 86 ft.?
6. If 1 lb. of coal gives off 15,337 B. T. U. of heat, find the amount of work stored in 1 lb. of coal.
7. If 1 lb of coal gives off 14,897 B. T. U. of heat, find the amount of work stored in 1 lb. of coal.
8. If 1 lb. of coal gives off 15,111 B. T. U. of heat, find the amount of work stored in 1 lb. of coal.