6. Did you remember to clean under the radiator?
7. Can you think of any way in which you can save time next week and yet do as thorough a piece of cleaning? Washing Windows and Mirrors. - Sometimes when you are cleaning your room you will notice that the mirror and windows need to be washed. Generally we use soap when we are trying to wash things clean. But if you use soap when you wash a window you will find it difficult to make the window look clear and bright. This is because the soap leaves a film on the window that is hard to remove. Clear water with a few drops of ammonia or water with a little washing soda (a tablespoon to a pail) is good for cleaning windows. The window can be rubbed dry with either cloth or paper. But whatever material you choose, it should not leave lint on the glass. Some people like to use chamois because it does not leave any lint. Of course, a mirror can be cleaned in the same way as a window. But particular care must be taken to prevent the water from getting in behind the mirror as it will injure the quicksilver. This is something to remember when you are washing your hand mirror as well as the mirror on your dresser.
How to Get Rid of Bedbugs. - Sometimes it may happen that you will be unfortunate enough to find bedbugs in your room. There are various ways in which these repulsive pests may be brought into the house. They may be brought in with the laundry or they may get into your clothing when you are riding on the street cars or trains. No amount of trouble is too great in ridding your house of these pests, because they cause great annoyance and help to spread disease. When the first bedbug is discovered, the housewife should take great pains to clean the bed and room thoroughly, because within a few days the one bedbug may have produced many more. Bedbugs reproduce very rapidly and, of course, the more there are the more difficult it is to get rid of them.
One way of exterminating bedbugs is to wash the bed and springs with boiling water, which kills both the bugs and the eggs. Another way is to put kerosene, gasoline, or benzine on the surface of the bed, especially in the cracks and crevices. Caution: Gasoline or benzine should never be used in a room with an open flame because they are explosive. This method does not destroy the eggs, although it kills the bugs. There are various commercial powders that are sold for the purpose of exterminating these pests. Whatever means one takes of exterminating bedbugs, one must remember that one application is not enough. Eggs may hatch out after the live bugs are all killed. One indication that these bugs are about is the tiny, brown specks on the sheets and bed clothing. Every good housewife has a watchful eye upon her beds to see that by no chance these loathsome pests secure a foothold in the house.
Housekeeping Score Card. - Make a score card similar to the one given below and take it home. Ask your mother to inspect your room daily and make a report about your housekeep-
Bureau drawer ...........................
Outside wraps ..........................
Thorough airing ....................
Floor of room.............
Floor of closet ..........................
Putting tools away........
ing on this score card. All the girls in the class should bring their cards to school on the same day and compare their reports.
The score card shows the number of points that you will receive if you make a perfect score in making your bed, keeping the top of your dresser in order, in taking care of the other things in your room and in hanging up your outside wraps. If you only make your bed half as well as your mother thinks you should she will give you 5 points instead of 10. If you make a perfect score in everything you will have a total of 50 points every day. If you make a perfect score on your weekly cleaning you will have 50 points.
Why Is It Worth While to Keep Your Room in Order? - You might make a list of the reasons why you think it is worth while for you to keep your room in order. Among these reasons you would probably say that it is more sanitary and healthful to keep your room clean and orderly. You would also say that it saves time when you are in a hurry. It is also an opportunity for you to do your share in helping to keep house.
There is another reason why it is worth while for you to keep your room in order that you may not have thought of. Imagine that you are in a room where everything is in disorder, the bed is not made, the covers are trailing on the dusty floor, clothing has been left hanging on chairs and in heaps on the floor, the dresser is littered with handkerchiefs, ties and other articles, the window curtains are soiled and crooked. Now imagine that you pass into another room. In this room the bed is nicely made with clean linens, the curtains hang fresh and straight at the windows, clothing is hung neatly in the closet or put away in the bureau drawers, the top of the dresser and table have been dusted and arranged neatly, and there is not a speck of dust to be seen in the whole room. In which of these rooms would you like to spend an afternoon reading and sewing? It is easy to answer this question because, of course, you will choose the room that is clean and orderly. Why is it that we prefer to be in a clean and orderly place? Do you ever feel disturbed and confused when you are in a place that is torn up and disorderly? Do you not feel happier when your room is clean and in order? Any room whether it is simply or handsomely furnished, must be clean and orderly if it is to be truly attractive and beautiful. This is surely another reason for keeping your room clean and in good order.
A Report for Your Next Lesson. - Make a list of changes you have made in the way you care for your room:
1. What you have done to increase your speed in caring for your room.
2. What you have done to arrange things more conveniently.
3. What you have done to prevent cluttering your room with unnecessary things.
4. What changes have you made in your weekly cleaning?
Be ready to report at your next lesson.