This section is from the book "The American Woman's Cook Book", by Ruth Berolzheimer. Also available from Amazon: The Domestic Arts Edition of the American Woman's Cook Book.
1 leg lamb (5 to 6 pounds)
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Have shank bone removed at the market, if desired. Do not remove the fell. Rub meat with salt and pepper. Place, fat side up, on rack in an uncovered roasting pan. Roast in a moderately slow oven (300°-325°F.) 30 to 35 minutes to the pound, or until a meat thermometer registers 175° to 180° F. Place on a hot platter and garnish with sliced pineapple and sprigs of watercress.
1. Rub meat with the cut edge of a clove of garlic or place slivers of garlic into deep narrow gashes cut in meat, or insert clove of garlic into joint of leg and remove before serving.
2. Rub 1 teaspoon ginger over surface of meat.
3. Baste lamb with vinegar which has been seasoned with finely cut mint leaves.
5. Rub meat with 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves. Baste meat frequently the last hour of roasting with 1/2 cup grape jelly melted in 1/2 cup hot water.
6. Rub 2 cups cooked apricots and juice through a sieve, add 3/4 cup sugar and cook until thickened. Baste roast with this during last hour of roasting.
7. Cover meat with pineapple slices 1 hour before meat is done. Brush with butter so that pineapple will brown.