This section is from "The Horticulturist, And Journal Of Rural Art And Rural Taste", by P. Barry, A. J. Downing, J. Jay Smith, Peter B. Mead, F. W. Woodward, Henry T. Williams. Also available from Amazon: Horticulturist and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste.
A specimen of this new, greenhouse, herbaceous plant, exhibited by Mr. Veitch, at the last meeting of the Horticultural Society, received a Silver Knightian Medal, in testimony of its singular beauty and horticultural value. It forms a tuft of fleshy or tuberous stems, about a foot high, of a deep purple color, concealed by numerous narrow, deep-green leaves, from among the uppermost of which appear great numbers of flowers in general form like those of any other Balsam, but of a brilliant brick-red, relieved by yellow and green. The red belongs to a large, bag-shaped, curved pouch, which hangs down in front of the flower-stalk; the yellow and green, confined to the small sepals and petals, form a helmet-shaped body, which seems to terminate the pouch. The figure in the Botanical Magazine was taken from a very ill-colored specimen. It will no doubt propagate easily by cuttings, if not by seed, and can not fail to be a universal favorite. Mr. M'Ivor sent the tuberous stems from the Neilgherry garden, at Ootacamund, to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, where it first flowered in June, 1852. - London Gardeners' Chronicle.