The following tables of Dr. Sherrard, Ph. C, are simple and require but little explanation. The first table gives percentage solutions, as, for instance, 4 per cent. cocaine muriate solution; the second table gives parts in 1,000 or 5,000, as, for instance, corrosive sublimate 1 in 1,000. The use of the first table is as follows: Run down column 1 until the correct percentage wanted is found, then move to the right along the line until the column is found giving the amount of the fluid measure to be made up; at the intersection will be found the weight of the salt required. For example, suppose it is desired to make 4 fl. oz. of 4 per cent cocaine muriate solution, run down the left-hand column to 4, then along to the right till the column headed 4 fl. oz. is reached. At the intersection of the two will be found 72912, and this is the number of grains needed. It must be remembered that this is the amount of water to take, and not q. s. water to make the volume, and also that these tables are true only for water, and not for alcohol, or any other fluid. The second table is similarly employed. If other amounts of a solution are required than those given in the tables, a simple mathematical calculation will determine the amount of drug or salt required for a specified amount of solution. For example, if 8 fluid ounces of a four per cent. solution is required, follow down the 4 fluid ounce column until opposite 4 per cent.; the number of grains required are 72912. Now, to make 8 fluid ounces, just twice as much (145,824 grs.) is required. For all dispensing and administering purposes in any prescribed doses, the figures thus given are correct. It is therefore clear that if a drachm of a 2 per cent solution be prescribed, exactly 2 per cent of that drachm is the salt in the solution, the other 98 per cent. being the water.

For Making Any Quantity Of Percentage Solutions

For each 1 fl. oz.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 2 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 3 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 4 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 5 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 10 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 16 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

To make

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

I per cent. .

4.557

9.114

13.671

18.228

22.785

45.57

72.912

2 per cent. .

9.114

18.228

27.342

36.456

45.570

91.14

145.824

3 per cent. .

13.671

27.352

41.013

54.684

68.355

136.71

218.416

4 per cent. .

18.228

36.456

54.684

72.912

91.14

182.28

291.648

5 per cent. .

22.785

45.57

68.355

91.14

113.925

227.85

364.56

10 per cent. .

45.57

91.14

136.71

182.28

227.85

455.7

729.12

15 per cent. .

68.355

136.71

205.065

273.42

341.775

683.55

1093.68

20 per cent. .

91.14

182.28

273.42

364.56

455.70

911.4

1458.24

25 per cent. .

113.925

227.85

341.775

455.70

569.625

1139.25

1822.80

40 per cent. .

182.28

364.56

546.84

729.12

911.4

1822.8

2916.48

For Making Any Quantity Of Solution When Stated In Parts Per Thousand, Hundred, Etc

For each 1 fl. oz.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 2 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 3 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 4 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 5 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 10 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

For each 16 fl. ozs.

of water take of the drug or salt.

To make a solution of

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

Grains.

1 in 1000 . .

.4557

.9114

1.3671

1.8228

2.278

4 557

7.291

1 in 500 . .

.9114

1.8228

2.7312

3.6456

4.557

9.114

14.582

1 in 400 . .

1.139

2.278

3.4177

4.557

5.695

11.392

18.228

1 in 300 . .

1.519

3.035

4.557

6.076

7.59

15.19

24.304

1 in 200 . .

2.2785

4.557

6.8355

9.114

11.39

22.785

36.456

1 in 100 . .

4.557

9.114

13.671

18.228

22.785

45.57

72.912

1 in 50 . . .

9.114

18.228

27.342

36.456

45.57

91.14

145.824

1 in 25 . . .

18.228

36.456

54.684

72.912

91.14

3182.28

291.648

1 in 10 . . .

45.570

91.140

136.710

182.280

227.85

455.70

729.120

1 in 5 . . .

91.14

182.28

273.42

364.56

455.7

911.4

1458.24

The rule for finding the amount of a drug in a given percentage of solution is as follows:

Find the number of minims in stated quantity, and multiply this by the numbers indicating percentage, placing the decimal two points to the left.

Examples: I. How many grains of drug in 2 fluid ounces of a 2 per cent.

tincture (solution) ? Two fluid ounces = 960

For Making Any Quantity Of Solution When Stated In 1

X (2 p. c.) = 19.20 grains.

2. How many grains of a drug in 100 C.C. of a 4 (p. c.) tincture (solution)? 100 C.C. X 16.23 = 1623.00

For Making Any Quantity Of Solution When Stated In 2

X 4 (p. c.) = 64.92 grains.