Mushrooms and Truffles belong to this group of plants ; both being largely eaten, and agreeing with most persons. Botanists inform us that there are many species of innocent and nourishing fungi; but there are some, also, that are danger-ously poisonous. While, then, the general rnle is, that those whose color is not dark, nor taste harsh, nor odor disagreeable, are harmless, experiments are not safe in such a matter, when made by those ignorant of the kind they have found. The true eatable mushroom, agaricus campestris, grows on open ground, has pink "gills" or frilled arrangement underneath its crown,, a small

"ruffle " also on its stem, and a thin skin on top, which can be peeled off easily. The assertion made by some that even this plant is unsafe until cooked does not agree with my experience; as I have often eaten at least a small handful of mushroom plants raw,without any injury. Still, they may under some circumstances be less whole-some,, and cooking improves their flavor as well as secures their innocency. Symptoms of "toadstool " poisoning are those of irritant poisoning ; vomiting, purging, and abdominal pains ; with, also, dizziness, partial blindness, delirium, perhaps convulsions and stupor, at least in fatal cases. Generally, the symptoms do not show themselves for a number of hours, if the irritant effects are most prominent; but stupefying effects have sometimes appeared within an hour or two.

No antidote for fungus-poisoning having been ascertained to exist, the proper treatment for it is, the use of mustard, salt, or ipecac, as an emetic, followed by charcoal and magnesia-water, and then stimulants (ammonia, whiskey, etc.), if required by great debility; lime-water and milk for nourishment (later, beef-tea, etc.); and, if irritation and pain without stupor be present, careful use of moderate doses of some opiate, as paregoric or laudanum, to assuage distress and procure relief.