While metallic lead is not poisonous, many of its compounds are so. The one most nearly inert is the sulphate of lead. Hence sulphuric acid, and its salts, as sulphate of magnesium, are antidotes for it. Sugar of lead (acetate of lead) and the sub-acetate, present in Goulard's extract, which are often used to make lead-water, are sometimes taken poisonously by mistake. Violent vomiting and purging, with very severe pains in the abdomen, followed by prostration have been the symptoms in such cases; death taking place (if,the quantity was very large) in from one to three days. Treatment for such acute or sudden poisoning by lead, should consist in the use, if vomiting is not copious, of an emetic dose (twenty to thirty grains) of sulphate of zinc, followed by whites of eggs in abundance, milk, and moderate doses of sulphate of magnesium (Epsom salts); with warmth applied to the body, and opiates (as paregoric or laudanum) to relieve pain when the most urgent symptoms have been overcome.