Fig. 180 is from Lavenham, old houses at the corner of Lady and Water Streets, here shown partially restored. On the ground floor, at the nearest corner in the illustration, will be noticed the framings of old shop windows. Similar windows also existed on the Water Street elevation, but they have been covered with plaster. The projecting joist-ends, on the first floor overhang, and their bracketted supports from the slender wall posts, in buttress form, with carved capitals, should be noted here as exceptional details, although of the shafts only a vestige remains.

Lavenham Guild Hall. The Main Hall.

Fig. 203. Lavenham Guild Hall. The Main Hall. - 32 ft. by 17 ft.

Lavenham Woolhall, South Wing. Ceiling Beams.

Fig. 204. Lavenham Woolhall, South Wing. Ceiling Beams. - 18 ft. 6 ins. by 15 ft. 1 in.

Oak Boarded Ceiling From A House At Lavenham

Fig. 205. Oak-Boarded Ceiling From A House At Lavenham - Late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. - E. Garrard, Esq.

Two views of the projecting porch of Lavenham Guild Hall are shown in Figs. 181 and 182. This is a rich example, although the original door is missing. The carving of the corner bracket and the niched corner-posts is exceedingly choice in secular work, even for the late fifteenth century. The photographs were taken prior to the restoration of 1914, when a number of new bay windows were added in a regrettable endeavour to improve the elevation of the fine old Hall.

One of the corner-posts to the Lavenham Woolhall, together with its dragon-beam and overhanging story-bracing is given in Fig. 183. The corner-post of the Guild Hall is illustrated in Fig. 184, together with two of the modern bay windows which were added at the time of the 1914 restoration.

One of these mid-fifteenth-century corner-posts can be seen in Fig. 185. Below the enriched band is a Gothic head with crocketted central mullion and the tracery above becomes shallower as it rises to the apex of the post. Viewed cornerwise this post has supported a dragon-beam 9 ins. in width. A portion of the top of this post has been cut off. Originally, it sprang outward and upward, as in the Lavenham Guild Hall post, Fig. 184.

Lavenham Guild Hall was erected in about the year 1486 for one of the Cloth Guilds of Corpus Christi. At this period the English woollen trade with the Low Countries was very large, and Lavenham was one of the weaving centres. The act of Henry VIII, in debasing the English silver coinage, annihilated this trade, and Lavenham remains to-day, a feeble shadow only of its former wealth and glory, the home of horsehair cloth-weaving, in itself a dying industry. Of this rich Guild Hall only one of the original bay windows remains, and this is in a badly restored state. It is shown in Fig.

186. It shows the transom type, flanked with top lights.

The window-head is supported by " false-tenons " into the overhanging floor joists. The heavy cill is wrought from the solid, and is finely moulded and carved.

Fig. 187 shows a corbelled window from a house in Lavenham, of the mullioned type, with carved transom and cill. The bay is square on plan, and without side lights. The door at the side, with its Gothic head and spandrel, shows the domestic fashion of the lust half of the sixteenth century. Here, as in Fig. 180 the brackets from the joist-ends on either side of the door are carried on slender buttresses. Alston Court, Nayland, Suffolk, is a half-timbered house, dating from the closing years of the reign of Edward IV, between 1475 and 1480. It is a good example of a yeoman's house of the superior kind. Built round an open courtyard, in the manner of its time, it possesses a Great Hall with mullioned windows, glazed with heraldic emblazonry of coats of arms of well-known Norfolk and Suffolk families, of its own and subsequent dates.

Elmsett Church, Suffolk.

Fig. 206. Elmsett Church, Suffolk. - Oak boards with applied iron straps. Late fourteenth century.

Chancel Door, Needham Market Church.

Fig. 207. Chancel Door, Needham Market Church. - Early fifteenth century.

The house has grown by additions made at later periods in its history. The dining-room was panelled with oak in 1631, at a date when dissensions between Cavalier and Parliamentarian were beginning to become acute. This room has finely carved beams and a window with fine old stained glass. Above is the Solar, and adjoining is a room with a waggon ceiling of oak. By permission of the owner, Mr. A. M. Fenn, two of the corbelled windows are shown in Figs. 188 and 189. Both are of late fifteenth-century type, well restored, and the first shows some of the heraldic glass of the sixteenth century which is one of the features of Alston Court.

Among the important features of both timber houses and churches of the fifteenth century were the elaborate timber porches. In the latter these were often of the most ornate description, both externally and internally. The house porch was closed by a door at its entrance, hence the need for ornament in its interior was not so keenly felt, timber ■94 houses, as a rule, being in. Church porches, having were often embellished Boxford Church, Suffolk, ornate porch in England, Figs. 190 to 192. It dates fourteenth century, and is, for its antiquity as for its The roof is vaulted to the window openings are lions. Over the cambered signs of an original Saint's are still to be seen on the trefoil of the arched head. Suffolk porches of the more ornate outside than the door at the other end, with fine open-timber roofs, has, probably, the most views of which are given in from the middle of the therefore, as remarkable rich character, slender triple columns, and traceried with central mul-tie-beam in the front are niche, the evidences of which collar-beam above, in the Four of these interesting fifteenth century are illustrated in Figs. 193 to 196. It will be noticed that the timbering becomes lighter in scantling as the century advances.

Barking Church, Suffolk, Vestry Door.

Fig. 208. Barking Church, Suffolk, Vestry Door. - Mid-fifteenth century.

Key Church, Ipswich, Priest's Door.

Fig. 209. Key Church, Ipswich, Priest's Door. - Late fifteenth century.

Strangers' Hall, Norwich. Oak Entrance Door With Wicket.

Fig. 210. Strangers' Hall, Norwich. Oak Entrance Door With Wicket. - Width of large door, 5 ft. 1 in. Width of small door, 3 ft. Height of wicket door from wood threshold, 5 ft. 6 ins.

The Left Hand Caryatid Or Bracket To The Porch Cornice.

Fig. 211. The Left-Hand Caryatid Or Bracket To The Porch Cornice. - Leonard G. Bolingbroke, Esq.

The Right Hand Bracket.

Fig. 212. The Right-Hand Bracket.

Brent Eleigh Church, Suffolk.

Fig. 213. Brent Eleigh Church, Suffolk.

Chelsworth Church, Suffolk, S. Door.

Fig. 214 Chelsworth Church, Suffolk, S. Door.

Earl Stonham Church, Suffolk.

Fig. 215. Earl Stonham Church, Suffolk.

4 ft. wide by 5 ft. 3 1/2 ins. to springing of arch.

8 ft. 2 ins. to apex.

Flat vertical boarded type, with applied ribs and tracery.

Early fifteenth century.

Fig. 214 Chelsworth Church, Suffolk, S. Door.

9 ft. 2 ins. high by 4 ft. 7 ins. wide.

Framed mullion type with inserted traceried heads.

Mul-fifteenth century.

Fig. 215. Earl Stonham Church, Suffolk.

Moulded ribs with inserted tracery. Mid-fifteenth century.