Next morning, Dr. Young experienced the stiffness and soreness of violent bodily exercise and was informed by his wife that in the course of the night he had much alarmed her by striking out again and again with his arms in a terrific manner, "as if fighting for his life." He in turn informed her of his dream and begged her to remember the names of the actors in it who were known to him.

On the morning of the following day, Wednesday, he received a letter from his agent, who resided in the town close to the scene of his dream, informing him that his tenant, H. W., had been found on Tuesday morning at Major N. M.'s gate speechless and apparently dying from a fracture of the skull, and that there was no trace of the murderers. That night Dr. Young started for the town and arrived there on Thursday morning. On his way to a meeting of the magistrates he met the senior magistrate of that part of the country and requested him to give orders for the arrest of the three men whom, besides H. W., he had recognized in his dream, and to have them examined separately. This was done. The three men gave identical accounts of the occurrence, and all named the woman who was with them. She was then arrested and gave precisely similar testimony.

They said that between eleven and twelve on Monday night they had been walking homeward, all together along the road, when they were overtaken by three strangers, two of whom savagely assaulted H. W., while the other prevented his friends from interfering. The man H. W, did hot die, and no clue was ever found to the assassins.

The Bishop of Clogher writes confirmatory of Dr. Young's account.

"Borderland cases "are those in which the percipient, though seeming to himself to be awake, may be in bed, has perhaps been asleep, and is in that condition between sleeping and waking known as reverie and which we have seen is favorable for the action of the subliminal self, either as agent or percipient.

Passing, then, from dreams to "Borderland cases," the first example under this head which I will present is from Mrs. Richardson, of Combe Down, Bath, England.

She writes: -

"August 26th, 1882.

"On September 9th, 1848, at the Siege of Mool-tan, my husband, Major-General Richardson, C. B., then adjutant of his regiment, was most severely wounded, and supposing himself dying, asked one of the officers with him to take the ring off his finger and send it to his wife, who at that time was fully one hundred and fifty miles distant, at Ferozepore. On the night of September 9th, 1848, I was lying in my bed between sleeping and waking, when I distinctly saw my husband being carried off the field seriously wounded, and heard his voice saying, 'Take this ring off my finger and send it to my wife.'

"All the next day I could not get the sight nor the voice out of my mind. In due time I heard of Gen. Richardson having been severely wounded in the assault on Mooltan. He survived, however, and is still living. It was not for some time after the siege that I heard from Colonel L., the officer who helped to carry Gen. Richardson off the field, that the request as to the ring was actually made to him, just as I had heard it at Ferozepore at that very time.

"M. A. Richardson."

The following questions were addressed to Gen. Richardson.

1. "Does Gen. Richardson remember saying, when he was wounded at Mooltan, 'Take this ring off my finger and send it to my wife,' or words to that effect? "

Ans. "Most distinctly; I made the request to my commanding officer, Major E. S. Lloyd, who was supporting me while my man was gone for assistance."

2. "Can you remember the time of the incident?"

Ans. "So far as my memory serves me, I was wounded about nine P. M., on Sunday, the 9th September, 1848."

3. "Had Gen. Richardson, before he left home, promised or said anything to Mrs. R. as to sending his ring to her in case he should be wounded? "

Ans. "To the best of my recollection, never. Nor had I any kind of presentiment on the subject. I naturally felt that with such a fire as we were exposed to, I might get hurt."

The next case is from Miss Hosmer, the celebrated sculptor. It was written out by Miss Balfour, from the account given by Lydia Maria Child, and corrected by Miss Hosmer, July 15th, 1885.

"An Italian girl named Rosa was in my employ for some time, but was finally obliged to return home to her sister on account of confirmed ill-health. When I took my customary exercise on horseback, I frequently called to see her. On one of these occasions I called about six o'clock P. M., and found her brighter than I had seen her for some time past. I had long relinquished hopes of her recovery, but there was nothing in her appearance that gave me the impression of immediate danger. I left her with the expectation of calling to see her again many times. She expressed a wish to have a bottle of a certain kind of wine, which I promised to bring her myself next morning.

"During the remainder of the evening I do not recollect that Rosa was in my thoughts after I parted with her. I retired to rest in good health and in a quiet frame of mind. But I woke from a sound sleep with an oppressive feeling that some one was in the room.

"I reflected that no one could get in except my maid, who had the key to one of the two doors of my room - both of which doors were locked. I was able dimly to distinguish the furniture in the room. My bed was in the middle of the room with a screen around the foot of it. Thinking some one might be behind the screen I said, 'Who's there?' but got no answer. Just then the clock in the adjacent room struck five; and at that moment I saw the figure of Rosa standing by my bedside; and in some way, though I could not venture to say it was through the medium of speech, the impression was conveyed to me from her of these words: 'Adesso son felice, son contents.' And with that the figure vanished.