The next case is from Mr. Francis Dart Fenton, formerly in the native department of the Government, Auckland, New Zealand. In 1852, when the incident occurred, Mr. Fenton was engaged in forming a settlement on the banks of the Waikato.

He writes: -

"March 25th, i860.

"Two sawyers, Frank Philps and Jack Mul-holland, were engaged cutting timber for the Rev. R. Maunsell, at the mouth of the Awaroa Creek, a very lonely place, a vast swamp, no people within miles of them. As usual, they had a Maori with them to assist in felling trees. He came from Tihorewam, a village on the other side of the river, about six miles off. As Frank and the native were cross-cutting a tree, the native stopped suddenly and said, 'What are you come for?' looking in the direction of Frank. Frank replied, 'What do you mean?' He said, 'I am not speaking to you; I am speaking to my brother.' Frank said, 'Where is he?' The native replied,

' Behind you. What do you want?' (to the other Maori). Frank looked round and saw nobody; the native no longer saw any one, but laid down the saw and said, 'I shall go across the river; my brother is dead.' Frank laughed at him, and reminded him that he had left him quite well on Sunday (five days before), and there had been no communication since. The Maori spoke no more, but got into his canoe and pulled across. When he arrived at the landing-place, he met people coming to fetch him. His brother had just died. I knew him well."

In answer to inquiries as to his authority for this narrative, Mr. Fenton writes the editors of Phantasms of the Living: -

"December 18th, 1883.

"I knew all the parties well, and it is quite true. Incidents of this sort are not infrequent among the Maoris.

"F. D. Fenton,

"Late Chief Judge, Native Law Court of New


The following case was first published in the Spiritual Magazine in 1861, by Robert H. Collyer, M. D., F. C. S.

Although published in a spiritual publication, Dr. Collyer states that he himself is not a believer in spiritualism, but, on the contrary, is a materialist and has been for forty years.

He writes from Beta House, 8 Alpha Road, St. John's Wood, N. W.:-

"April 15th, 1861.

"On January 3d, 1856, my brother Joseph being in command of the steamer Alice, on the Mississippi, just above New Orleans, she came in collision with another steamer. The concussion caused the flagstaff or pole to fall with great violence, which coming in contact with my brother's head, actually divided the skull, causing of necessity instant death. In October, 1857, I visited the United States. When at my father's residence, Camden, New Jersey, the melancholy death of my brother became the subject of conversation, and my mother narrated to me that at the very time of the accident the apparition of my brother Joseph was presented to her. This fact was corroborated by my father and four sisters. Camden, N. J., is distant from the scene of the accident, in a direct line, over one thousand miles. My mother mentioned the fact of the apparition on the morning of the 4th of January to my father and sisters; nor was it until the 16th, or thirteen days after, that a letter was received confirming in every particular the extraordinary visitation. It will be important to mention that my brother William and his wife lived near the locality of the dreadful accident, and are now living in Philadelphia; they have also corroborated to me the details of the impression produced upon my mother."

Dr. Collyer then quotes a letter from his mother whieh contains the following sentences: -

"Camden, N. J., United States, "March 27th, 1861. "My. beloved Son, - On the 3d of January, 1856, I did not feel well and retired early to bed. Some time after I felt uneasy and sat up in bed; I looked around the room, and to my utter amazement, saw Joseph standing at the door looking at me with great earnestness; his head was bandaged up, a dirty night-cap on, and a dirty white garment, something like a surplice. He was much disfigured about the eyes and face. It made me quite uncomfortable the rest of the night. The next morning Mary came into my room early. I told her I was sure I was going to have bad news from Joseph. I told all the family at the breakfast table. They replied, iIt was only a dream and nonsense;' but that did not change my opinion. It preyed on my mind, and on the 16th of January I received the news of his death; and singular to say both William and his wife, who were there, say-that he was exactly attired as I saw him. "Your ever affectionate mother,

"Anne E. Collyer."

In reply to questions, Dr Collyer wrote : "My father, who was a scientific man, calculated the difference of longitude between Camden and New Orleans and found that the mental impression was at the exact time of my brother's death. . . .

"In the published account I omitted to state that my brother Joseph, prior to his death, had retired for the night in his berth; his vessel was moored alongside the levee, at the time of the collision by another steamer coming down the Mississippi. Of course my brother was in his nightgown. He ran on deck on being called and informed that a steamer was in close proximity to his own. These circumstances were communicated to me by my brother William, who was on the spot at the time of the accident."

In addition to these accounts, Mr. Podmore says: -

"I called upon Dr. Collyer on March 25th, 1884. He told me that he received a full account of the story verbally from his father, mother, and brother in 1857. • • • He was quite certain of the precise coincidence of time/'

A sister also writes corroborating all the main statements.

Other senses besides that of sight may receive the telepathic impression. In the following cases the sense of hearing was so impressed. The first account is from Commander T. W. Aylesbury, late of the Indian Navy. It is from Mr. Gurney's collection in Phantasms of the Living.