Auckland Islands, a group lying between lat. 50° 24' and 51° 4' S., and lon. 163° 46' and 164° 3' E., 180 m. S. of New Zealand, and 900 m. S. E. of Tasmania. They were discovered Aug. 1(5, 1806, by Abraham Briscoe, master of Messrs. Enderby's English whaler Ocean, and called after Lord Auckland. They are of volcanic formation, and consist of three principal islands, the largest of which is Auckland proper, 30 m. long and 15 m. wide, with an area of 100,000 acres and a mountain 1,350 feet high. Port Ross, at the W. extremity of the island, contains an inlet called Laurie harbor, the station of the southern whale-fishing company of the Messrs. Enderby, to whom the islands were granted by the British government, and who obtained a charter for this company in 1849; but the establishment was broken up in 1852. The most northerly of the group are called Enderby islets. The island of Ichaboe contains guano deposits. The soil of the Auckland islands is very productive.