Bareges, a French watering place in the department of Hautes-Pyrenees, 25 m. S. of Tarbes, situate in the Bastan valley, 4,000 feet above the sea, between two chains of mountains. The village consists of one long street on the Gave de Bastan, and forms part of a commune with only about 600 permanent inhabitants, who escape from the snow and avalanches during the winter to the town of Luz. The fine silk crepe tissue first took its name from Bareges, though chiefly manufactured at Bagneres de Bigorre. During summer and autumn Bareges can accommodate about 800 invalids and visitors. The springs rise near the junction of the slate rock with the granite, and are celebrated for curing ulcers, rheumatism, scrofula, tumors, and gunshot and other wounds. Their principal ingredients are sulphuret of sodium, carbonate, muriate, and sulphate of soda, azotic and sulphuretted hydrogen gases, and animal matter. Their temperature varies from 73° to 120° F. They have been known since the 16th century, but became fashionable only at the end of the 17th, after they had been successfully employed by Madame de Maintenon for the cure of the crippled duke de Maine, Louis XIV.'s natural son.

A new bath house was erected by the French government in 1864, and the springs are described in Dr. Macpherson's "Baths and Wells of Europe" (1869). Bareges is the seat of a famous military hospital.