E., 126 m. S. E. of the city of Sattara. It was once of great size, strongly fortified with outworks of great extent, and, according to the tradition of the natives, was the largest city of the East. The modern city retains few traces of its former grandeur. There is a street 3 m. long, several magnificent Saracenic edifices built in the 16th and 17th centuries, and a Brahman temple of unknown antiquity. This last is a remarkable structure, consisting of a rudely built roof of stone, supported by pillars each of which is a monolith. Another noteworthy edifice, partly in ruins, is the mosque and mausoleum of Ibrahim Adil Shah. The building is 400 ft. in length and 150 in width, and is surmounted by a dome of immense size. - The city and the province of which it was the capital were brought by native wars successively under the dominion of the BJimenee empire (till 1489), of Adil Shah and his succas-sors (till 1(!89), of Aurungzebee until his death, of the Malirattas, and finally of the British, who in 1818 expelled the native ruler, and added Bejapoor to the territory assigned under their protection to the rajah of Sattara.