Benicia, a town, capital of Solano co., California, and formerly of the state, on the strait of Carquinez, which connects San Pablo and Suisun bays, 30 ni. E. N. E. of San Francisco; pop. in 1870, 1,656. The land for about a mile from the town is level or gently undulating. The valleys are capable of cultivation, but in and around the town there is not a tree to be seen. The houses are of wood, and present a neat and respectable appearance. The harbor is capable of accommodating the largest ships. It is connected with San Francisco by regular lines of steamers. Arrangements have been made (1872) for the construction of a railroad from Benicia up the Sacramento river to Red Bluff, with a branch to Sacramento. It has extensive cement works, tanneries, and a large flouring mill. The place contains the government depot of arms and supplies for the military stations on the Pacific coast, and has extensive barracks, storehouses, magazines, and shops for the manufacture and repair of army material. It has also a law school, a collegiate institute, St. Augustine's theological school (Episcopal), with 6 professors and 7 students, a convent, a female seminary with 8 instructors and 45 students, and a Catholic and an Episcopal church.