Bergen-Op-Zoom, Or Berg-Op-Zoom, a fortified town of the Netherlands, in the province of North Brabant, on the river Zoom, near its entrance into the East Scheldt, 19 m. N. N. W. of Antwerp; lat. 51° 29' N., lon. 4° 17'E.; pop. in 1867, 9,431. It is well built, has a good harbor, a handsome town house, an ancient palace now used for barracks, two arsenals, several powder magazines, and a number of earthenware and other manufactories of small importance. It has a considerable trade in sardines. The place was one of the strongholds of the Netherlands in their struggle with the Spaniards, and was repeatedly besieged by the latter without success. The fortifications are protected by a morass, and after the Spanish wars were much strengthened by the engineer Coe-horn. They were taken however by the French in 1747 under Count Lowendal. The town having been restored to the Dutch upon the declaration of peace, it again surrendered to the French under Pichegru in 1795. The English besieged it in 1814 without success.