Boorhanpoor, Or Barhaunpoor, a town of British India, formerly capital of Candeish, in the territory of Gwalior, 130 m. S. S. E. of Oo-jein and 210 m. E. of Surat; lat. 21° 19' N., Ion. 76° 18' E.; pop. about 20,000. It stands on the north bank of the Taptee, 60 or 70 feet above the stream, and is surrounded by a brick rampart in the form of a semicircle, in the centre of which is a palace of brick, called the Red Fort. It was built by Akbar, with pleasure gardens, halls of white marble, and a mosque; but it is now fast falling to ruin. The town itself contains but one edifice of much pretension, which is a mosque built by Aurungzebe.. The streets are wide and regular, and many of the houses neat and commodious. The trade is almost monopolized by a Mohammedmi tribe called the Borahs, who came originally from Arabia, and still retain the dress and many of the customs of that country. They manufacture muslins, flowered silks, and brocades, and in the time of Tavernier (about 1665) used to export considerable quantities of their fabrics to Persia, Egypt, Turkey, Russia, and Poland, though even then Boorhanpoor had passed the meridian of its prosperity. The vicinity is noted for excellent grapes.
This town was founded about 1414 by Malik Nasir, ruler of Oandeish, and for a long time was the capital of the country. In 1599 it was besieged and taken by Akbar, king of Delhi, who reduced Candeish to a province of his empire. It was plundered by the Mahrattas in the reign of Aurungzebe in 1685, and in 1720 was wrested from the empire of Delhi by Azaf Jah or Nizam ul-Mulk, viceroy of the Deccan. It was subjugated by Madhajee Sindia in the latter part of the 18th century; was occupied by the British under Col. Stevenson in 1803, restored the same year, and finally with the whole of Sindia's territory, or Gwalior, passed under British protection in 1844.