Bridport, a seaport town and municipal and parliamentary borough of Dorsetshire, England, 127 m. S. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 7,666. It is an ancient town, consisting mainly of three spacious streets. The fine old parish church of St. Mary was restored in 1865; among other places of worship is a handsome Congregational church. The town hall, completed in 1860,-is a good building. There is a literary and scientific institution, and a school of art. The coasting trade, which was formerly considerable, was diminished by the railways; but it has recently increased owing to the improvement of the harbor, which is 1 1/2 m. from the town, at the mouth of the Brit, and can accommodate vessels of 200 tons. Ship building is carried on to some extent; there are two weekly markets and two annual fairs for cattle, sheep, cheese, and small wares. Bridport was a borough during the Saxon period, and under Henry VIII. enjoyed the monopoly of supplying the navy with cordage. The name "Bridport dagger " was formerly applied to the halter.