A N. W. County Of Missouri, separated from Kansas by the Missouri river, which bounds it S. and S. W., and intersected by the Little Platte river; area, 416 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,352, of whom 1,192 were colored. It has a diversified surface and fertile soil. It is intersected by the Kansas City, St. Joseph, and Council Bluffs railroad, and the southwestern division of the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific. The chief productions in 1870 were 196,060 bushels of wheat, 1,470,861 of Indian corn, 152,114 of oats, 62,046 of potatoes, 311,495 lbs. of butter, 24,577 of wool, and 2,802 tons of hay. There were 6,525 horses, 1,476 mules and asses, 4,487 milch cows, 7,442 other cattle, 11,702 sheep, and 35,985 swine; 11 flour mills, 4 distilleries, 12 saw mills, and 2 pork-packing establishments. Capital, Platte City.
An E. Central County Of Nebraska, bounded S. E. by Platte river, and intersected by Loup fork and Shell creek; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,899. The Union Pacific railroad passes along the S. border. The soil is generally fertile, and the surface undulating and diversified with prairies and woodland along the streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 43,905 bushels of wheat, 65,290 of Indian corn, 40,230 of oats, 18,350 of potatoes, 57,625 lbs. of butter, and 5,879 tons of hay. There were 552 horses, 835 milch cows, 2,237 other cattle, 427 sheep, and 782 swine. Capital, Columbus.