Raab (Hung. Győr).
A W. County Of Hungary, in the Trans-Danubian circle, bordering on Presburg, Comorn, Veszprém, Oeden-burg, and Wieselburg; area, 1,590 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,103,637, chiefly Magyars. The surface is level, except in the south. The extensive marsh of Hanság is in the western portion. The chief rivers are the Danube and the Raab. The principal products are corn, wine, fruits, cattle, and sheep.
A City (Anc. Arrabona Or Rabona), capital of the county, in an extensive plain at the junction of the Rabnitz and Raab, near the entrance of the latter (which rises in Styria) into an arm of the Danube, known as the Little Danube, 67 m. W. N. W. of Buda; pop. in 1870, 20,035, including about 5,000 Germans. The old cathedral has been restored and embellished, and the episcopal palace is a striking building. The academy of law was reopened in 1867, and the city has a theological faculty and a Catholic and a Protestant gymnasium. In the vicinity is the Benedictine abbey of Szent-Márton (Martins-berg), one of the oldest in Hungary. In the 10th century the town regained the importance which it once possessed as a Roman colony in Pannonia, and it was generally kept in a state of defence by the Hungarian kings, but suffered during their warfare with the emperors of Germany. The Turks took it in 1595, and were expelled in 1598 with great loss, by Schwarzenberg and Pálffy. The fortress was finally razed in 1820. The Hungarian army of "insurrection" (defensive rising en masse of the nobility) was defeated in the plain of Raab by Eugene Beauharnais, June 14, 1809. In 1848-'9 it was strongly fortified by the Hungarians, who were here defeated by the Austrians under Haynau, June 28, 1849.