A N. W. County Of Hungary, bordering on the counties of Neutra, Komorn, and Wieselburg, and on Lower Austria; area, 1,664 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 297,377, chiefly Slovaks and Magyars. It is traversed by the Carpathians and watered by the Danube, which near the city of Pres-burg divides into two arms, forming the island of Schutt. With the exception of the numerous marshes, the soil is very fertile. The chief products are wheat, hemp, fruit, chestnuts, cattle, horses, and marble. The principal town, next to the capital, is Tyrnau. II A city, capital of the county, on the left bank of the Danube, and on the Pesth and Vienna railway, 35 m. E. of Vienna, and 100 m. W. N. W. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 46,540. It stands on elevated ground, and is semicircular, with the river on the S. side. The Danube is here about half a mile wide, and is crossed by a bridge of boats. Among the principal buildings are the cathedral, where the kings of Hungary were formerly crowned, the palace of the archbishop of Gran, the city hall, and a German theatre. The city has a law school, a Roman Catholic seminary, a Protestant lyceum, and a number of other institutions.
Among the historical curiosities are the old castle, once a royal residence, ruined by a fire in 1811, and the " coronation hill," an artificial mound, which the newly crowned kings ascended, brandishing the sword of St. Stephen. Cotton, woollen, and silk goods, leather, oil, and tobacco are manufactured.-Presburg became the capital of Hungary after Buda was taken by the Turks in 1529, and remained so till Joseph II. again made Buda the administrative capital in 1784. It continued, however, to be the legislative capital down to 1848, when the seat of the diet was transferred to Pesth. Presburg was captured in 1619 by Bethlen Gabor, prince of Transylvania, but was recaptured by the imperial troops in 1621. After the battle of Aus-terlitz, the treaty between France and Austria was concluded at Presburg (Dec. 26, 1805). The city was taken by the French in 1809.