An E. County Of Minnesota, bordered S. W. and S. by the Mississippi river; area, about 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,-886. It has an elevated surface, with prairies and forests. It is intersected by several railroads centring in St. Paul. The chief productions in 1870 were 54,321 bushels of wheat, 38,020 of Indian corn, 53,868 of oats, 9,015 of barley, 5,600 tons of hay, 1,500 lbs. of wool, and 91,185 of butter. There were 618 horses, 1,099 milch cows, 298 sheep, and 1,357 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 5 of furniture, 3 of dressed furs, 4 of machinery, 6 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 3 of soap and candles, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 tannery, 2 flour mills, 2 saw mills, and 4 distilleries. Capital, St. Paul, which is also the capital of the state.
A N. E. County Of Dakota, recently formed and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,500 sq. m. Stump lake is in the S. part, and the S. W. corner is occupied by a portion of Miniwakan or Devil's lake. The surface is rolling prairie.