A N. Province Of Italy, bordering on Cremona, Mantua, Modena, Massa e Carrara, and Parma; area, 877 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 240,635. The principal rivers are the Po, which forms the N. W. boundary, and its affluent the Enza. The mountains toward the south, in the direction of the Apennines, are barren, but the less elevated parts and the valleys are very fertile. It comprises the districts of Reggio d' Emilia and Guastalla. - Formerly the principal parts of it formed a duchy, successively ruled by the houses of Este, Correggio, Gon-zaga, Visconti, and others, and from about 1527 to 1859 by the dukes of Este (afterward of Modena), excepting during the French domination (1790-1814). Marshal Oudinot was made duke of Reggio.
A City (Anc. Re-Gium Lepidi), capital of the province, 16 m. W. N. W. of Modena; pop. about 21,000 (as a commune, in 1872, 50,657). It is the seat of a bishop, and has broad streets, some lined with arcades, a fine cathedral and several other churches, convents, a museum and public library, and trade in wine, silk, cheese, and hemp. It is the birthplace of Ariosto, whose 400th anniversary was celebrated in 1874. - Regium Lepidi is supposed to have been founded by Aemilius Lepidus, the constructor of the AEmilian way. It was destroyed by the Goths in 409, and refounded by Charlemagne.