Sable Island (Fr. sable, sand), a low island in the Atlantic ocean, about 100 m. S. E. of Nova Scotia, to which it belongs; length about 25 m., breadth from 1 to 5 m. It consists of two nearly parallel ridges of sand joined at the ends, which enclose a lake about 11 m. long and in some places 12 ft. deep. There are two kinds of grass, wild peas, strawberries, cranberries, etc. The island supports about 500 wild horses, and some horned cattle. There are valuable fisheries in the vicinity. Many fatal shipwrecks have occurred upon Sable island and the sand banks and shoals which surround it. An establishment for the relief of persons thrown upon its shores is supported by the Dominion of Canada. In 1871 the population consisted of five families, comprising 27 persons, connected with this establishment. In 1873 the government established two lighthouses, one at the W. end (lat. 43° 57' N, lon. 60° 8' W.), with a revolving light 123 ft. above the sea, and the other 1 1/2 m. from the E. end (lat. 43° 58' 30", lon. 59° 46'), with a fixed light 128 ft. above the sea.