Saginaw, a river of Michigan, formed at Saginaw City by the confluence of the Cass, Shiawassee, and Tittabawassee rivers. It flows nearly N. for 18 m., and empties into Saginaw bay. It is navigable by the largest steamers. Its branches and tributaries, flowing from all points, drain a large area.
Saginaw, an E. county of Michigan, drained by the Saginaw river and its affluents; area, about 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 39,097. The surface is level or gently undulating, and the soil very fertile. The principal exports are fish and pine lumber. Water power is abundant. It is intersected by several railroads centring at Saginaw. The chief productions in 1870 were 37,255 bushels of wheat, 43,349 of Indian corn, 52,295 of oats, 86,999 of potatoes, 14,926 tons of hay, 16,086 lbs. of wool, and 318,275 of butter. There were 1,894 horses, 3,077 milch cows, 3,775 other cattle, 5,258 sheep, and 3,216 swine; 36 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 42 of salt, 86 saw mills, 6 planing mills, 5 flour mills, and 7 breweries. Capital, Saginaw.