Saginaw, Or Saginaw City, a city and the capital of Saginaw co., Michigan, on the W. bank of the Saginaw river, here formed by the confluence of the Cass, Shiawassee, and Tittabawassee rivers, and crossed by three bridges, 18 m. above Saginaw bay, and partly opposite East Saginaw, 115 m. N. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1860, 1,699; in 1870, 7,460; in 1874, 10,064. It is finely situated and tastefully laid out and built. The ground rises from the river to a moderately elevated table land. The corporate limits extend about 4 m. along the river, with an average width of 2 m. Washington street, a fine avenue, extends through the city parallel to the river. E. of it are most of the business places, while on the W. side are the county buildings and most of the churches, school houses, and residences. A good supply of water is furnished, on the Holly plan. Horse cars run to East Saginaw. The city is connected with Detroit and other points in the state by the Michigan Central, the Flint and Père Marquette, and the Saginaw Valley and St. Louis railroads. Saginaw has an extensive business in furnishing supplies for the lumber regions, and possesses large interests in saw mills and salt works in the adjacent country.
The principal manufacturing establishments within the city limits are eight large saw mills, three planing mills, sash and door manufactories, extensive stave and barrel works, four shingle mills, and eight salt works. The city contains a national bank, a private bank, several hotels, a central and five ward schools, two weekly newspapers, and Baptist, Episcopal, German Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Reformed Lutheran, and Roman Catholic churches. - Saginaw was first settled in 1822, and received a city charter in 1859.