East Saginaw, a city of Saginaw co., Michigan, on the E. bank of Saginaw river, about 16 m. above the bay of the same name, opposite and a little below the city of Saginaw, 57 m. N. N. E. of Lansing, and 90 m. N. N. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1860, 3,001; in 1870,11,350, of whom 5,066 were foreigners. The city extends along the river, nearly N. and S., about 3 m., and is built up for about a mile back. The business portions are constructed chiefly of brick, and several of the schools and churches are handsome edifices. Three swing bridges cross the Saginaw at this point, and there are two street railroads. The Flint and Pere Marquette railroad passes through the city, from which radiate a branch to Bay City and another (in progress) to Caro, Tuscola co. It is also the terminus of the Saginaw Valley and St. Louis railroad, while the Jackson, Lansing, and Saginaw line runs along the opposite bank of the river. It is the principal depot of the lumber and salt trade of the Saginaw valley, and is largely engaged in furnishing provisions and supplies to the lumber regions in the vicinity.

It contains 5 founderies and machine shops, 2 boiler shops, 5 saw mills, a shingle and stave mill, and 4 salt manufactories, producing 102,752 barrels of salt in 1872. There are also several shingle and saw mills on the opposite side of the river. The car and repair shops of the Flint and Pere Marquette railroad employ about 500 men. There are 3 national banks, with an aggregate capital of $500,000, and a savings bank, with $100,000 capital. The city is divided into six wards, and has more than a mile of paved streets, and an extensive system of sewers in progress. Water works are also in process of construction. An excellent system of public schools is in operation, embracing in 1872 1 high, 8 grammar, and 22 primary schools, with 34 teachers and 1,628 pupils. The expenditures for school purposes during the year were $46,375, of which $20,350 were for permanent improvements, and $15,859 for teachers' wages. There are 2 daily and 4 weekly (1 German) newspapers, and 10 churches. - East Saginaw was laid out in 1850; about 1855 it was incorporated as a village, and in 1859 a city charter was granted.

East Saginaw #1

See East Saginaw.