Bautzen (Lusatian, Budissin), a town of Saxony, capital of Upper Lusatia, on the Spree, 31 m. E. N. E. of Dresden; pop. in 1871, 13,165. It has a cathedral, owned in common by the Catholics and Protestants, two public libraries, a hospital, and manufactures of woollen and linen cloths, paper, and leather. The battle of Bautzen was gained May 20 and 21, 1813, by Napoleon, with about 125,000 men, over the allied Prussians and Russians, numbering nearly 100,000. The engagement began early in the morning of May 20, and the French easily gained possession of the town, but Oudi-not failed in his attacks on the left wing of the enemy. On the following and decisive day they captured Preititz and the heights of Gleina, while Soult stormed those of Kreckwitz, the key to Bliicher's position. The allied monarchs, being now reminded of their danger of being crushed by Ney, who had already attacked the right flank of their forces, effected a masterly retreat without losing a gun.
Bauxite. See Alumina.
Bavai. See Bavay.
Bavay, Or Bavai, a town of France, in the department of Nord, 13 m. E. S. E. of Valenciennes; pop. in 1866, 1,646. The town occupies the site of the ancient Bagacum or Baga-num, the capital of the Nervii before the conquest of Gaul by Cassar, and an important military post under the Romans till the end of the 4th century. The remains of an aqueduct, an amphitheatre, and ruined fortifications are among its many remarkable relics of the past; and it is the point of union of seven still existing Roman roads, called the Chausees de Brune-haut. Its manufactures are glass, earthen and hardware, iron implements, and sugar.
Bay, an E. central county of Michigan, on Saginaw bay, watered by Rifle river and numerous other streams; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,900. The Flint and Pere Marquette railroad extends to Bay City, in the S. E. part of the county, which is also traversed by the Jackson, Lansing, and Saginaw railroad. Lumber forms the principal industrial interest of the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,398 bushels of wheat, 1,799 of rye, 8,458 of Indian corn, 10,008 of oats, 26,505 of potatoes, and 3,538 tons of hay. There were 478 horses, 700 milch cows, 742 other cattle, and 453 swine. Capital, Bay City.
Bay City, a city of Michigan, capital of Bay county, on the E. side of Saginaw river, near its mouth in Saginaw bay, a part of Lake Huron; pop. in 1860, 1,583; in 1870, 7,064. The city has 9 churches, of which 2 are German, 6 school houses, 2 large hotels, and 1 daily and 2 weekly newspapers. Within its limits are 16 saw mills, which produce daily about 1,000,000 ft. of lumber. Most of these have salt wells and salt factories attached to them, which produce annually from 80,000 to 100,000 barrels of salt. The annual export of lake fish, white fish, trout, pike, and herring is from 50,000 to 60,000 barrels. There is also a large manufactory of gas and water pipes, and one of buckets. Six lines of passenger steamboats and more than 1,000 vessels touch at the port; and there is railroad communication with Detroit, Jackson, and Chicago. Bay City was first settled in 1836, was incorporated as a village in 1859, and as a city in 1865.