Saint Johnsbury, a town and the county seat of Caledonia co., Vermont, on the Pas-sumpsic river, and on the Portland and Og-densburg and the Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers railroads, 38 m. E. N. E. of Montpelier; pop. in 1850, 2,758; in 1860, 3,469; in 1870, 4,665. It contains three villages, St. Johns-bury, St. Johnsbury Centre, and St. Johnsbury East. The first is much the largest, and has many neat residences and good public buildings. The court house is a fine structure, and in front is a soldiers' monument. The Athenaeum, also a fine building, contains a public reading room with a library of more than 10,000 volumes and a gallery of choice paintings and works of art. The principal educational institution besides the free public schools is the St. Johnsbury academy. The town has two national banks, a savings bank, two weekly newspapers, and 11 churches. There are iron founderies and manufactories of agricultural implements, etc.; but the chief industrial feature is the extensive manufactory of the "Fairbanks standard scales," in St. Johnsbury village.
The works occupy 15 acres and employ from 500 to 600 men; annual value of products, more than $2,000,000.