A Central Province Of The Argentine Republic, bordering on La Rioja, Cordova, the pampas W. of Buenos Ayres, Men-doza, and San Juan; area, 20,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1869, 52,761. In the north it is mountainous, with several high peaks. The southern districts abound in excellent pasture lands, on which are reared large numbers of cattle. The Rio Quinto is the only river of importance. There are some lakes, the largest of which is the Bebedero, of considerable extent, and supplying salt for the whole province. Much rain falls. The soil is favorable for the cultivation of all the European products. Oranges and grapes are especially abundant, and large quantities of excellent wines are made. The chief articles of commerce are hides, sheep and gua-naco wool, skins, leather, ostrich and condor feathers, gold, auriferous copper, precious stones, and salt. Of 14,576 children from 6 to 14 years of age, 2,600 attended school in 1869. The province is divided into eight departments.
A City, the capital of the province, 460 m. W. N. W. of Buenos Ayres; pop. in 1869, 3,748. It is beautifully situated at an elevation of about 2,500 ft., with a mild climate. The chief industries are agriculture and the manufacture of wines. The city, sometimes called San Luis de la Punta, was founded by Luis Loyola in 1596.