An E. State Of Mexico, bounded N. E. by Nuevo Leon, E. by Tamau-lipas and Vera Cruz, S. by Hidalgo, Querétaro, and Guanajuato, and W. and N. W. by Zacate-cas; area, 28,889 sq. m.; pop. in 1869, 476,500. In the southeast the surface is flat, but in other directions it becomes broken and hilly, terminating in mountains and a high table land in the west. The most important rivers are the Santander and Tampico. Large crops of wheat, maize, and barley are raised, and great numbers of cattle are reared. There are several copper mines. The manufactures include woollen and cotton goods, glass, leather, earthenware, and hardware.
A City, capital of the state, upward of 6,000 ft. above the sea, 220 m. N. W. of Mexico, and 100 m. S. E. of Zacatecas; pop. in 1869, 31,389. It has six handsome churches, three convents, a hospital, a government house, and several schools, and manufactories of shoes, hats, and hardware.