A Republic In N. E. Italy, the oldest and next to Monaco the smallest state in Europe; area, 22 sq. m.; pop. in 1874, 7,816. It is surrounded by the provinces of Forli and Pesaro ed Urbino, is mountainous, and has four or five villages. Wine, silk, and fruits are the principal products. It was settled, according to tradition, in the 4th century by Marinus, a Dalmatian hermit, and has ever since the establishment of its government remained independent. The legislature consists of a council of 60, taken equally from the ranks of nobles, burgesses, and small proprietors, and appointed for life by the councillors themselves. An executive body of 12 is selected from this number; two presidents (ca-pitani reggenti) are chosen every six months, and justice is administered by two foreign magistrates appointed for three years. The annual revenue is about $14,000. In 1874 the harboring in San Marino of fugitives from justice led to complications with the Italian government.
A City, capital of the republic, 8 m. S. W. of Rimini; pop. about 6,000. It is situated on the summit of a rugged mountain, and contains a remarkable cabinet of medals, a theatre, five churches, two convents, a town house, and a statue of Marinus.